Monday, June 22, 2009

heat

Hit "play" and let me tell you a little story while the Specials provide the soundtrack.


It's hot in here. We're not boiling yet, but the weather reports say to expect a week of 85+ degree weather, including two upcoming consecutive days of a balmy 95 with accompanying thunderstorms. Since we found Renard the week of Valentine's Day, most of my climate memories of the joint involve multiple layers of clothing and lots of shivering. So that we're starting to sweat is a new experience.

It started in the back bedroom. Jeremiah summoned me to check out the humidity in their room. About two feet from their room, I got socked in the face with jungle-grade humidity. My room was fine. But a couple of days later, the humidity crept into my room, too. I think the roof is the culprit. It's black tar, not the nice shiny reflective silver stuff I've seen on most city buildings. And our bedrooms are right underneath. So, I'm working on a plan to get some flimsy plywood, cover it with foil, and deflect a little bit of the heat away from us.

We started running the air conditioner just to check it out. In less than five minutes the whole place was cooled down and opening any doors or windows resulted in gusts of air hotter than an oven. There has to be a catch somewhere. There's no way fate would allow the air conditioner to work efficiently. It's going to explode or something, because that's just how things work.

Anyway, just a little update. Up soon: stories of the Great Utility Closet Organization Project, more decorating, a gardening update, and plans to destroy the plague of bugs that has arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment